Saturday, November 15, 2008

Tater Is Heroic - Porch Boy Was Attacked!

Trip got neutered yesterday, and I wanted to visit him at the vet clinic before Mom & Dad came over at 9:30AM to go on our trip to Aubrey's first birthday party. So I got up at 6:30 to walk Porch Boy & Tater, then I was going to pack up the SUV and get over to the clinic. We had just started the walk when out of nowhere BAM! A huge boxer or pit bull with a black collar suddenly appeared and picked up Porch Boy by the middle and started shaking him like he was a toy.

I still don't know where this dog came from - usually my dogs see another dog a mile away and start barking. This one just suddenly appeared out of nowhere! We were in the middle of the street, avoiding some auto sprinklers when it happened. I started yelling "NO!" and hitting the dog but he wouldn't let go. He could care less about me - he was totally focused on P Boy. All the knuckles on my right hand were swollen and bruised so I know I was hitting him really hard.

At one point I fell down, tearing my jeans and scraping up my knee and that's when Tater charged the boxer barking in her mean voice. The boxer dropped P Boy and by the time I had picked him up and got back on my feet neither the attack dog nor Tater were anywhere to be seen. Panic ensued. I was yelling TATER at the top of my lungs. Silence. What seemed like 10 minutes but was probably less than a minute later I heard Tater bark and saw that she was standing at the end of our cul-de-sac. The smart girl had run home!

I had the dogs on the double leash and she was dragging P Boy's half along with his harness still attached. The boxer had literally thrown it off him with his head shaking routine. I rushed both dogs back into the house, still holding P Boy in my arms. P Boy usually squeals like a stuck pig when he's hurt, but he remained silent. He must have been in shock. I yelled for Gina and she threw on some clothes and we took Tater & P Boy to the vet. He wasn't supposed to open until 8AM but thankfully he was there and opened the back door when I banged on it.

P Boy had 4 deep puncture wounds - 2 in the belly & 2 in the back - and 2 superficial wounds on the back. Dr. May expertly shaved around the wounds and we could see that he was bleeding badly. After 4 quick shots to the neck (2 pain meds and 2 antibiotics) Porch Boy remembered he was supposed to be squealing, which he did really loudly! Then we all noted that there was blood coming out P Boy's penis. That made Dr. May concerned that he was bleeding internally so he took some X-rays. Nothing showed on the first set - then Dr. May put an IV in his front leg and by that time the clinic had opened so he had to tend his other patients. I stayed with P Boy and Gina took the other 2 dogs home.

I called Mom to tell her that my plans to take us all out of town for the weekend had suddenly changed and arranged to meet up with her & Dad to give them the presents. Gina brought my cell phone back so I could call my sister and DEOGI boarders to let them know of the change in plans as well.

Dr. May put some contrast dye in P Boy's IV to recheck his bladder for tears which would require emergency surgery. Thankfully, it showed his bladder and all other internal organs were still intact. Another vet that was there said we were lucky the dog hadn't bit him just an inch more toward his neck or he would have punctured the lungs which is almost always fatal.

I felt so helpless when that big dog was hurting my baby. If it hadn't been for Tater I'm sure he would have continued until he'd killed P Boy.

After meeting up with Mom & Dad to give them the gifts, we went back to the clinic. P Boy looks so pitiful. He has a hernia near one of the puncture wounds on the belly which will require surgery, but Dr. May wants to give him a few days to heal from the initial trauma. So he plans to do it on Tuesday. Dr. May is so sweet. He gave me his cell phone number and told me I could call him to come see P Boy tomorrow when the clinic is closed & he'd meet me there. I'll be there bright and early tomorrow morning.

When we got home I took an Alleve and a Vicodin. My shoulder was really hurting and I found several more scrapes and bruises on my body. I was really trying my best, but I just had no effect at all on that big bully! Slept for a couple hours and had several flashbacks while sleeping. I may need a therapy session or two. I definitely am going to buy some mace!

I decided that I wasn't going to let the bullies rule the streets, so I took Tater & Trip on a walk at 5PM but I took a big stick with me. If any other dogs suddenly appeared intent to hurt us, I was at least going to have the ability to crack their skulls! I will always keep the stick with me on walks in the future.

Well, it's nearly 11PM and I need to go take another Vicodin to get to sleep. More tomorrow...

2 comments:

Denise Bynum said...

I've been meaning to ask you - how was it that you ended up on the ground? Did the harness or leash get twisted up between your legs or did you fall when you tried to beat back the pit bull or what? Any idea? Also, did Tater lunge at the bad dog, or just bark?

Dr. Root said...

When I was hitting the dog with my fists and having no effect at all, I tried to grab it and wrestle it to the ground but I fell in the attempt. Tater lunged at the dog when I fell and was barking when she rushed him. I saw her out of the corner of my eye and screamed "NO!" then I rolled over onto my back and kicked the dog in the belly just after he had let go of P Boy when Tater was lunging at him. All this happened in a nanosecond. By the time I'd gotten up off the ground and picked up P Boy Tater had already run back home and I suppose the Pit Bull did the same.