Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Porch Boy Needed Surgery

Yesterday I took P Boy back to Dr. May for his follow-up visit on the hernia. Turns out there were 2 of them and both needed sutures - one took 5 stitches and the other 4 stitches. P Boy whimpered and shook all last night while in bed with me. He wouldn't stay in the crate this time. He has to wear this stupid blue collar around his head to keep him from pulling the stitches out of his belly and he hates it. He'll have to wear it for 7-10 days, though, because that's when I take him back to have the stitches removed. He's still taking antibiotics and pain meds daily as well.

Total amount I've now paid Dr. May for P Boy's injuries is $1195 - and the owner of the Pit Bull has not yet signed for delivery of my demand letter for reimbursement of the original emergency treatment. I'm sending another letter, with the hernia follow-up surgery included, today with a delivery confirmation notice rather than certified. That way I can show the court that I tried the certified method first and then followed up with a tracking on delivery showing that they should be aware that demand for payment has been made.

If it goes unanswered, I will file a small claims court lawsuit for the $1195 and include compensation for my medical expenses as well. I have had difficulty sleeping and concentrating at work - two sure signs of depression for me - as well as several flashbacks to the incident which have left me feeling victimized anew. I will also seek compensation for missing a half-day of work yesterday to go see a psychiatrist (who prescribed some anti-depressants she said I should take for at least 6 months - I have a follow-up visit with her scheduled next month) and to take P Boy back to the vet. I've decided $3000 would be a fair amount to compensate for pain & suffering.

I also found out that I can file a "Dangerous Dog" lawsuit asking the court to require the owners to get a $100,000 bond if they continue to keep the dog at their residence. That way he won't have to be put down, and hopefully they will choose to give him to someone who can better restrain him. I don't want him killed - I just want to protect my dogs and other small dogs in our neighborhood from his unprovoked attacks.

I'll take some photos of P Boy's belly and him in his collar to post later tonight.

No comments: