Monday, November 17, 2008

P Boy is HOME!

I dropped by to see him before work this morning and he was so much better! He even hopped up and down when he saw me. Dr. May said that he had taken him outside and he saw a dog on the other side of the fence and started barking at him and running toward him. Dr. May couldn't believe he wouldn't be cowed by seeing another canine given what he'd been through. I sure hope it doesn't change his "never met a stranger" nature.

Dr. May said his belly was too swollen to really tell anything about the hernia. Sometimes they apparently repair themselves but he didn't want to do any unnecessary surgery so he wants to check him again in 7-10 days after all the swelling disappears. I asked if I could take him home after work and he said "sure" but his wounds are still bleeding so he sent along some pads and tape like the kind he put on my protection stick. We also need to give him pain meds and something to prevent infections twice a day.

He shook like a leaf all the way home, sitting on my lap. Tater was thrilled to see him and was very gentle in her greeting. Not Trip. He was all "Let's play!" and P Boy wanted no part of that. Mostly he's just wanted to sit on my lap and shake. Trying to get Trip to leave him alone is a near impossibility. At one point P Boy was mad and snapped at him, just as I had put my hand out to push Trip away from my lap. P Boy bit my hand - by mistake - but dang! It hurt!

Gina suggested we put P Boy into the largest of our pet carriers (which is big enough to accommodate all 3 dogs and the cats at the same time!) so that Trip would bug off. We'll leave him in there when we're at work as well - just until he's healed a bit more.

I did take all 3 dogs out for a very brief walk this evening. But not with harnesses since Dr. May said that the harness would probably hurt PB until the swelling dissipates. It's odd walking them with just their collars on. Trip didn't like it at all. I'll definitely harness him.

It's good to have him back home. Hopefully he'll heal quickly. Thanks to everyone for the kind words and well wishes!

3 comments:

Shari said...

I am so glad that you and PB are recovering...bless both of your hearts!!! That must have been terrifying. I don't know what I would have done had I been in your shoes. PBoy is very lucky to own you :-)

Anonymous said...

Jeraine & Gina -

Just heard news of Porch Boy's attack from Judy today. I am so sorry, but so happy to know that he is home and healing.

-Aletheia

Dr. Root said...

Thanks so much! P Boy had no desire at all to walk with us this morning. I usually take the dogs on a quick 15-20 minute walk as the sun rises before work, then we use the last 30 minutes of sun playing in the back yard when I get home. I can't wait to see him romping with Trip & Tater like before. Right now all he does is sit and shake.