Monday, March 16, 2009

Grief Recovery Handbook

Ever since Cozette, my oldest sister, died when I was 14 years old, I have failed to understand the grieving process. Others close to me have died since Cozy, and with each death, I have felt like a complete failure at grieving properly. I have been told there is no "right" or "wrong" way to grieve. And I understand that...intellectually...but I needed guidance, direction, something! I told my friend Debbie Chapman that what I wanted was a workbook that told me "OK, here's step 1. Do it and then move on to step 2...." I wanted a timeframe for completion. Nothing was more depressing to me than to hear friends of mine whose Mom or Dad had died telling me that "you never get over it" and that it was as painful today as it was X number of years ago when their parent died.

Debbie suggested I call Harris County's Employee Assistance Program to see what they might have that would be helpful. So I did. And WOW - did they ever deliver! First was a very kind woman that took my call and listened carefully. She didn't tell me that she was sorry for my loss - in fact, she used none of the cliches typically heard by folks who have recently had a loved one die. When I told her what I wanted, she said she wanted to send me something to help. Two days later I got a FedEx package at home. Inside was the book The Grief Recovery Handbook: The Action Program for Moving Beyond Death, Divorce, and Other Losses. Authors: John W. James & Russell Friedman

I have completed Part One and want to post some of the things I have learned so far. This will take several posts. So if you're not interested in this topic, please revisit my blog about 3 weeks from now. I should be on to other things by then. Yep, I've got a timeframe now :--)

No comments: