Monday, May 4, 2009

Monte Update

Getting Monte to the vet this morning was a major ordeal. Gina had put Timitu in a crate to transport her (she's having kidney problems) and Monte saw me bring in his crate and headed under the bed. He was just out of reach and wasn't budging. I got the squirt gun and pelted him with water. But he just sat there getting wet. Staying out of reach. Tater went under the bed and began to whine and cry as I continued to squirt Monte trying to get him out. I felt like some sort of sadistic Nazi!

I decided to just call in to work late and sit on the couch with the dogs until he came out on his own. He did, after about 15 minutes, then saw his crate which I thought I had cleverly "hidden" and immediately ran back under the bed. The boy is smart!

I figured there was only one other possible way to get him out. I lay down on the floor and put my hand palm down on the floor just a few inches away from him. Then I talked sweetly to him. After about 10 minutes he finally moved closer to my hand and started to lick it. I continued talking baby talk to him and as he moved a little bit closer for me to scratch his ears I grabbed his head and pulled him out. It was not without a struggle I tell ya'.

So, Dr. May recommended removing the tumor. Not as a curative, but as a palliative treatment. Since Dad's ordeal I know what that means. It won't be completely removed - but the part that is exposed and oozing will be gone. The tendrils are already about 4cm into his muscles. He says that he can remove the top part which is about 6cm long and 2cm wide. Because he has done so well in his previous surgeries, Dr. May doesn't think he'll have any problem tolerating this one. The goal is to make him as comfortable as possible until the tumor grows into his spine causing paralysis. The good news is that Dr. May sees no reason for me to consider euthanizing him at this point.

If we don't do the surgery, then the tumor could be treated topically with antibiotic cream to keep it from getting infected. Dr. May said there is a considerable amount of necrotic tissue which he'd prefer to remove surgically, but we could just put t-shirts on him to keep the dogs from licking it. Yes, all 3 of them are quite enamored with the tumor. Gross. I was going to take a photo but it's just too yucky to post. Dr. May removed the orange neon thing the ER doc put on saying that it was better to let it "breathe".

2 comments:

Denise Bynum said...

So sorry about Monte's problems. The good news is that he doesn't seem to be suffering at all. He looks really good in the video. It seems he is more disturbed by the trip to the vet than his physical ailments. That's a blessing. I've forgotten how old he is now, but I know he's getting up there. Enjoy every minute you have with him. You know that when his time comes, you gave him a wonderful life and blessed him in so many ways. He's a lucky kitty.

Dr. Root said...

He turned 16 in March. The blood test showed his white blood count was elevated - no doubt due to the infection in the tumor. I've decided to go ahead with the surgery. If it will make him more comfortable, even for just a few months, it's worth it.