Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Trip to the ER with Trip

While walking the dogs this evening, Trip cut his right front paw between the two middle toes. I'm not sure how it happened. We were walking near the fence and some dogs on the inside of the fence were barking so all 3 of my dogs started yip yapping and going nuts. Trip slipped out of his harness and I think he may have cut it on some of the rough cement that was used to repair the fence posts after Hurricane Ike.

All I know is that I was trying to get control of him since he was no longer on his leash while trying to maintain control of the other 2 dogs still on the leash when all 3 of them were still going nuts because of the dogs behind the fence. When I was able to pick him up, I carried him and led the other dogs across the street to get them away from the source of all the excitement. I sat down on the curb to put Trip back in his harness and saw my hand was covered in blood.

At first I thought I was bleeding, but that didn't make sense because I wasn't hurt. When I put Trip on the ground I could see bloody paw prints and then I saw where his paw was oozing blood. I ran home with him but it was 10 minutes after our vet's clinic closed. So Gina & I took him to the ER on I-45 near Edgebrook.

He got two stitches and I need to take him to my vet tomorrow for a followup and to get his bandage removed.



He's been whimpering ever since we got home (about 9PM) and doesn't want to put any weight on it at all. Poor baby...



I also have to give him antibiotics 3 times a day for the next 5 days. Please pray for his speedy recovery.

No comments: