Sunday, July 10, 2011

It's Been Such a Long Time Since I Blogged...

My two faithful followers, Kerry & Iris, have told me that they've been missing my posts. Well, let's catch up a bit. Since the last post, I've bought a new car (looks exactly like the old one, but it's a 2011 model) settled with the insurance company, and had my surgery. Oh yeah, I also went to San Francisco for the UASI National Conference.

Gina had a great time in San Francisco. When we arrived on Sunday, we decided we would walk down Market Street to the Castro District. It looked a lot closer on the map then it did when we actually got out on the street. See that big rainbow flag in the distance? That's the Castro - and we'd already walked over half the distance.



It was an interesting walk, but I must admit it colored my opinion of San Francisco. First impressions are quite important. And my first impression was that SF was scary and dirty, with way too many homeless beggars. There was one that I thought was funny. He had a sign that said "Give me some pot. I need to get stoned." But all the others were just pathetic looking and unlike the Houston homeless, who come up with rather intricate stories to back up why they are looking for a handout, these people were just saying "Give me some money." Not even a "Please."

Anywho, after walking through blocks and blocks of graffiti strewn buildings and people wanting handouts, we were exhausted. Decided to just give up on ever reaching the Castro, and caught the trolley back to the hotel.

Gina met up with my sister, her husband, and her granddaughter the next day and took a day-long tour of the rest of San Francisco, including a special trip out to Alcatraz. I'll post the photos she took tomorrow. Her enthusiasm for the city made me appreciate it a bit more.

Sorry, but I'm feeling kind of dizzy and weak right now. This has been going on all day. Recovering from surgery really sucks.....

No comments: