Sunday, December 28, 2008

More about Dangerous Dogs in Germany

My friend Iris sent me more information about the dogs in Germany. Here's a list of the kinds of dogs that are restricted. You can click on the breed to figure out what it looks like so you'll know what it would be called in America.
Kategorie 1:

Kategorie 2:

Iris also said...

I learned that even the breeding of these dogs is meanwhile forbidden by law (§ 143 STGB). You can only buy such a creature in Austria or Great Britain, but you are not allowed to import him/her to Germany.

The discussion (and decisions) came up after a pitbull killed a child in Hamburg in 1990. I think from the beginning of the discussion to first steps it took only 3 months.

I say...
Think of all the media reports you've heard here in the U.S. just over the past year of vicious dog attacks. Only a month ago local news reported that 2 Pit Bull dogs attacked an 8 year old boy in Conroe and he had to be life-flighted to the hospital. The dogs were still on the loose and local news was warning people about them. Why is it that our government officials don't respond like they do in Germany?

4 comments:

Denise Bynum said...

I can now certainly understand what has prompted the only similar rules I know of in the US. That being the home owners insurance companies charging $500 more per year for customers who have breeds of dogs considered potentially dangerous. I found out about this when I was shopping around for insurance for our lake house. Since our pound puppy dog is a German Shepherd mix, the additional $500 would have applied on our coverage if it were for our main residence rather than a weekend home. The other breeds were Rottweiler (sp?), Chow, Doberman, and Mastiff, I think. I was surprised that German Shepherd was considered a dangerous breed, even though they are police dogs. I had always heard they were the most intelligent breed, and that’s why they were best for work with cops – or so I guessed. But I guess they’re used as guard dogs a lot too. I just never put 2 and 2 together. And it’s hard for me to look at mild old sweet Butch as a danger to anyone.

Jeraine said...

Thanks Denise for making the comment on my blog. I'm going to post the other comments made by family in e-mail so that Iris can see what a great discussion she's engendered. Here's a comment from Alena...

I want to know what Germany did with all the people who already had those breeds of dogs, but didn't have the $$ to pay for the fees or classes? Do they just take their pets away?

Jeraine said...

Here's what my sister Lori said...
I'm really glad that all big dogs are not restricted in the US as they are said to be in Germany. We've got a Rottweiller and a Chow afterall who are very sweet animals. I just think that the people behind the dogs need to be held accountable, as we have been. The dogs have a right to exist, it's the people that screw things up.

Jeraine said...

And from my other niece Jessica...
i think it's silly to require training courses to own a dog but not to raise a child.
if our government can't even make it illegal for women to kill their babies, they certainly can't handle determining who's fit to own a dog.